Day 1 - Tomorrow comes really quickly

01 June 2011

Cambo's been studying towards a masters in Meteorology between our last trip and this one, and the last of these uni based studies would tie up most of the time up until mid May. So from that time we had options. Realistically we had a week or so of time available to go and we had to be ready to make a decision quickly. Nothing was pre-booked, we just had to take the leap as and when it seemed right to do so. Over the following 2 weeks we had a couple of times where we came close to booking and going, but each time decided to wait. It seemed like the sensible thing to do. It took us this couple of weeks to realise that sensible didn't have that much to do with it so we should just go when we thought things looked to have bad weather.In retrospect our decisions to not leave earlier did mean we missed some spectacular storm days, but also some extremely destructive ones, including the tragic Joplin tornado, and some other particularly dangerous storms in the Carolinas. Although these may have provided some epic chase days, being in amongst such tragic events would not have been a good thing.It was on 30th May we finally made our call. Too much procrastinating and some good risks of storms for 2 days later and so it was time to leave. The outlook for the next few days would be a fairly standard outlook for this part of the season. A ridge of high pressure would build up over the southern plains (Texas / Oklahoma) and weather systems would literally roll over the top of that high pressure. That means the storms would likely be in the north, from Kansas up to North Dakota and much of the top layer of the U.S. including Montana and the upper Missouri valley. So we booked our flights for 3pm the next day and got packing!We would fly to Kansas, as we did last year, get a slightly smaller car than before (twice the fuel economy and most of the severe weather driving benefits)...

Once that was sorted, try and head a few miles north, while quickly trying to sort out our internet and get all our various technical items working. This was easier than it might have been in some respects and much harder in others! Our nice new external aerial for the wireless internet card had slightly the wrong connector for our internet card. Apart from that all the issues appeared resolvable.Once we had our internet working we reviewed the models. West, not north. Oh well, hadn't come far, and we were now in a Walmart car park, and tired. Chairs back and to sleep.

SPC Day 1 Weather Outlook as at 06:00UTC (01:00 Central Time the night before)

SPC 01:00UTC day 1 forecast for Wed June 2011

SPC Day 1 Weather Reports for the day.

SPC storm reports for Wed June 2011

< < Day 2 - Fish Poo      :      Day 22 - The Finale > >

Weather Photography Blog

2018

2017

2016

2015

2014

2013

2012

2011

2010