Southern Discomfort

27 May 2014

Today was a messy set up and the best guess was for convection to fire up from pre-existing or yet to be fully established outflow boundaries from previous storms in and around central Texas. Also progged was the potential for more storms in the cold core portion of the low further north.

We hedged our bets with the more northern stuff mainly because convection up there wasn’t ongoing when we woke up, which is usually a messy affair and often unappealing. It also meant we had to search for breaks in the cloud - areas that would benefit the most from surface heating, and this meant waiting in sunshine, which is always preferable. Finally we wre hoping it wouldn’t add too many more miles onto the already 1000 mile long journey north that we had planned for the end of the day; to be broken over 2 days mind.

We headed northeast out of San Angelo and towards Brownwood, where we simultaneously lost internet connection but saw the towers going up and convection starting to break out. We followed a little cell to a spot where we could watch him from a field. In fact, we positioned ourselves between 2 growing cells, unsure at this early stage which would be best. We spent time taking photos and I made a young horse friend.

Horse

As it turned out, neither amounted to much and after a considerable wait, we ended up ditching our storm and hacking south to get onto a bunch of cells that clearly had much more going for them. The only problem was we were north of these southeast moving storms which made it incredibly difficult to position ourselves underneath them, which is the best viewing point.

It actually took us about 2 hours to do this and in the end we got onto a storm which was now tornado warned, much further south than we originally wanted to go. This wasn’t really a problem, but unfortunately the terrain really sucked and you couldn’t see past the trees or over the hills to view much at all. We did manage to find one spot, near a bridge where we got a couple of shots of the updraft, as it passed over the lake and the hail core over the road.

Fluffy Monster

Fluffy And Lake

Stealy Grey And Lake

Hail Core

But after 10 minutes it was back on the road and we spent yet another hour or more trying to find another good viewing point. Sadly, this wasn’t to be, but oh how we tried. We tried until the storm was well out of reach and we were a good 100 miles south of our initial starting point this morning.

I took a photo of the hail core to mark our commitment on the storm, but it wasn’t very good. In fact, the previous one was better! Then it was an about turn and 1100 miles north for a ‘see text’ risk in 2 days’ time. Dakotas here we come!

SPC Day 1 Weather Outlook as at 06:00UTC (01:00 Central Time the night before)

SPC 01:00UTC day 1 forecast for Tue May 2014

SPC Day 1 Weather Reports for the day.

SPC storm reports for Tue May 2014

< < Sticky Front      :      The Broken Arc > >

Weather Photography Blog

2018

2017

2016

2015

2014

2013

2012

2011

2010